Interior Design Business Models

Home Forums IDI workshop support Interior Design Business Models

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hi Tiina,
    Thank you so much for the workshop, I learned a lot and thought this was really interesting, clear and well tied to our specific industry 🙂

I would have loved to dive a little into defining ones own business models as a new interior designer:
    – understanding the different available options, especially the ones that are either largely used by other designers, or maybe less commons
    – understanding a little bit pricing methodologies or good practices in our industry

Indeed, one of the thing I find very difficult as I start my activities is finding the right pricing model, taking into account that I am just starting but also want to maintain profitability and credibility. And that includes the model, so how I should charge for my services : is per it hour (consulting time, or time spend developing the plans and design concepts) or is it a fixed price per project or an hybrid version of that etc

I would love to get your perspective on this topic and if you have any advice or recommendation on how to approach this in the very early stages of launching an interior design business?

Thank you !
    Estelle

Tiina
    Keymaster

Thank you for your questions!
    Pricing and business models are complex indeed, and require a lot of thought, which becomes easier when you have started and been running your business for a while. I think the best way to get started is to define one service that you know you want to offer, and set a fixed price for that. This could be a Design Concept Creation, for example per room pricing, and then use per hour pricing to run your first projects beyond that fixed price.
    Makes sense?
    Once you have an understanding of the time spent on different projects, I’d move to a combination of fixed price + commission + percentage.
    Tiina

That makes a lot of sense! Thank you so much for your reply! 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.